A novel behaviour change learning activity for pharmacy undergraduate students
Taylor and Francis
MetadataDangos cofnod eitem llawn
Objectives: To engage students in a ‘behaviour change’ learning activity, applying health psychology theory to pharmacy practice in order to help students appreciate the challenges of behaviour change. Methods: Year 2 pharmacy students selected one behaviour to change and kept a diary for one-week before making changes. Students then received a health psychology lecture on behaviour change models. They instigated their behaviour change and continued to document this in the diary over a further one-week. Diaries were collected after the two-week activity for thematic analysis. Results: Of the 99 students, 61 (62%) submitted their completed diary, of whom 55 (90%) successfully implemented their behaviour change. These were categorised into four areas: diet, exercise, liquid consumption, and other. The remaining 10% provided reasons for not changing. Ten students (16%) described their behaviour using a psychological theory. Conclusions: Students engaged well with this novel learning activity, indicated by a high percentage diary completion. They demonstrated a clear appreciation of behaviour change within a real life context and its perceived relevance to pharmacy practice.
James, D., Yemm, R. and Deslandes, R. (2018) 'A novel behaviour change learning activity for pharmacy undergraduate students', Pharmacy Education, 18.
Article published in Pharmacy Education in December 2018.
Cardiff Metropolitan University (Grant ID: Cardiff Metropolian (Internal))
Yn dangos eitemau sy’n perthyn drwy deitl, awdur, pwnc a chrynodeb.
A Qualitative Evaluation of the Perceptions of the Social Marketing of Alcohol: A Study of Cardiff Metropolitan University Undergraduate Students Ofori, Elizabeth (Cardiff Metropolitan University, 2014)Social marketing is all around us- 'stop smoking', 'eat healthily', 'recycle'. It’s about influencing social change through the adaption of commercial marketing theories and practices. This inductive, interpretivistic, ...
Students Understanding of Alcohol Nutrition Labelling and the Subsequent Impact on Attitudes and Alcohol Consumption Brown, David (Cardiff Metropolitan University, 2017-06-01)Background Although obligated to inform consumers of the Alcohol by volume (ABV%) and Unit quantities of alcoholic products, producers rarely display Calorie (Kcal) information on their package labels. Students are ...
Morgan, Kevin; Kingston, Kieran (Taylor & Francis (Routledge), 2008)Background: Two goal perspectives predominate in achievement settings such as physical education (PE), namely task involvement, focused on self-referenced effort and improvement, and ego involvement, focused on normative ...